Saturday, February 23, 2013


Relieved! Travis and I are breathing easier and feeling a strong sense of hope after our appointments at CCRM.

However leading up to that moment was tense. Wednesday morning we both spoke few words, cried a bit, and felt anxious with the full day of appoinments ahead of us. It was freezing with the 'feels like' temperature of 8 degrees. The drive from our hotel to their office was only a few minutes. It was snowing and being from Florida, Travis cautiously drove at about 30 mph.

The Center had high open ceilings, a tall water feature at its entrance and two receptionists at opposite ends of the lobby's width. Depending on which appointment we checked in for, we spent the day walking back and forth alternating each time with our check in for this appointment and that one.

The first appointment of the day was with legal to review our consent forms. As soon as we sat down in the woman's small office she asked us for which date our egg retrieval had been set.

We squirmed in our chairs and I said, "Our eggs are partially dead and we are just here for the one day work up and to meet with Dr. Schookcraft."

"Oh I am so sorry to hear that."
"Thank you."
"Oh, that is aweful. I have never heard of that before. Every time?"
"We have tried IVF twice."
"Oh, I am so sorry. How sad!"
"Yes, we have already felt the weight of the diagnosis."

She had not looked at our chart and her reaction, although kind was not how we wanted to start the day. So with the re-affirmation of how unheard of and pitiful our story was we were directed across the lobby to the other reception desk and checked in to meet with the doctor.

Another small office, not too sterile feeling; calm blue walls lined the space and we sat in the silver and blue patterned chairs. Brochures on the wall, an open window, and modern desk were also in the office.

It was as if we had been holding our breath for this moment. I pulled the tissues from the display table and placed them on the desk infront of me. The anticipation of the moment overwhelmed me and I started to cry. It was a pretty cry. Just a few tears to release the pressure cooker of emotions I felt inside.

The doctor came in and was just as pleasant if not more so than on the phone. He briefly reviewed our history, inserting our names whenever possible. One of our main questions was if other people who had cases like ours were successful doing IVF using their own eggs. We were confident probably none had, it had not been heard of, or they all gave up or used donor eggs.

Pretty quickly into the conversation he said,"I strongly suggest doing another round of IVF. It would be worth it. I just had a call with a woman who had a case like yours, we did my regimine and she had 25 eggs resulting in 3 good eggs. She now has a 1 year old son and is coming back to do another round. Doing another round of IVF will either give us the exact same results as your previous cycle or give us a few viable eggs to use. Either way you will know for sure but I do not think it is time to give up."

"Well that is good news!" I practically yelled.

Travis and I both exhaled. Travis asked about the percentage of success. He responded with "about fifty, fifty." Fifty percent had the exact same result and fifty percent developed good eggs and got pregnant. We were elated to say the least. We talked about more technical things and the process of 'if and then's' which is too long to explain here.

His approach is aggressive and very thorough. He takes his time to make sure we have the best chance possible. It was the way he talked, so relaxed but confidently, which
was contagious.

We were so happy. I was happy. Travis was happy I was happy.
Here is a video of us explaining it.


That was about 9 a.m.

Until 3:30 p.m. we spent the majority of the day in tests and meetings:

1.) Hysteroscopy. Results were clear uterus. Yay.
2.) HSG. Results were both tubes clear and open. Yay. Test was painful but worth it.
3.) Ultrasound. Results were a bunch of follicles (which I normally have). Yay. Got to see a 3D image of my ovaries which was pretty cool. All of the equipment is state-of-the-art.
4.) Travis gave his sample. Results will come later. Not concerned.
5.) Business office meeting bringing everything to reality using dollar signs.
6.) Blood tests. Results will come later. Not concerned.
7.) Last meeting of the day was with our IVF nurse.

Everyone was so kind, accomodating, friendly, personable, and funny. Just cannot say enough about how great everyone was except our nurse. She was not so impressive or professional. No offense to people being young in their profession because I know how that feels but she did not look a day over 24 and mumbled something aweful. What? Can you repeat that? I seriously considered walking out and asking for someone else. Knowing that would humiliate Travis, I refrained. We have 3 nurses assigned to us so I will be sure to avoid using her as much as possible.

Now we wait 'till the test results come back. Then they will contact us to set up a phone consult with Dr. Schoolcraft again. The tentative plan is to be on his vitamin and suppliment schedule for 3 months, birth control for one month, (they may overlap), and then begin IVF; shots, bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. Then a few days before the egg retrieval I will travel back to Colorado for monitoring, then Travis will fly up to join me for the egg retrieval, and depending on how that goes (long story short; if my egg maturity and uterus are in sync) he will do the embryo transfer 3-5 days later or freeze them and ask me to come back a month later for the implant.

The bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring will happen with my old IVF clinic here. They will send updates to Dr. Schookcraft's office. If all goes well we plan to start IVF in June or July.

This is it folks. Our best shot! We are giving it our all.

Believing that the worst eggs are going to turn into the best eggs. That we will get pregnant and carry a healthy baby full term. Thank you for your prayers and support as we hope for the best!

3 comments:

  1. So excited for the hope and the journey. My story is different, of course, but here I am pregnant with the only embryo of 11 implanted! One little miracle, less than 10% success, but one is here! One is all it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauren I am standing and believing with you and Travis!!! I pray for wisdom for all of the nurses and doctors!!! I pray for peace for you and Travis!!! I am so excited about your next steps!!! Love you and will be praying for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have gone early! I thought March! So many prayers for peace and a healthy baby. I love you both! <3

    ReplyDelete