Thursday, September 13, 2012


Kindof in a state of shock. Probably the anesthesia talking, because I did not remember most of it and everything is a bit foggy still.
We arrived last night at my dad's house at 9:30 p.m. Drank as much Gatorade as I could to stay hydrated then went to bed.  The egg retrieval appointment was at 10 a.m.  We arrived there early and they still had us waiting for almost 30 minutes to bring us back.  Once there, the nurse started an IV, my doctor stopped by to say hello and then we spoke with the anesthesia doctor. Speaking with him was the most stressful part. He didn't believe me that I needed anti-nausea medicine at the beginning and refused to give it me.  Fortunately, I woke up without any nausea. If I had, the doctor better have run far.  It was funny. The nurse was trying to convince him as well. When he refused to budge on the issue, she bent down and said, if you feel nausea just aim at him!

Laying back in the chair, thinking of happy thoughts as I was instructed, I thought about the baby we would have from this, my wonderful husband Travis, and my adorable doggy, Ben.  Next thing I knew I was barely awake answering to my name being called.  My doctor was in the room and delivered the news that she had retrieved 24 eggs!  What a relief!

Getting prepped.

This is a picture with my doctor that I like so much!  I had to call her later tonight to clarify some of the medicine doses and she made a point to say, "I'm praying for your embryos tonight!"  How nice is that?

You see, on Tuesday, my numbers had climbed. From a progesterone level of .98 to 4.8. Anything over 5 is a danger zone for ovulating early.  Although my doctor would have liked me to stimulate another day to get the follicles in that 18-21 range, she didn't want to risk what happened last time. Thankful for that!

What she said next, nearly took our breath away.  "Lauren, because your body pushes through and ovulates early, this could be the very reason for your 'unexplained infertility.' My eggs had not fully matured, yet my body was going to ovulate anyways." Wow.

All the doctor's appointments in the last 6 years never tested for this. Their main concern is do I ovulate. Yes, I do. But without going through IVF, we never would have discovered this pre-mature ovulation.

This morning I had some stomach cramping which scared me because at any moment I could have ovulated. The biggest relief was hearing that I had not yet ovulated and she was able to retrieve all the eggs.
Look at my sexy outfit.

We went in at 9:20 a.m. and came back home at around 12:30 p.m.

Came home. Showered and went to sleep for about 6 hours.  Still cramping a bit in my stomach and a little dizzy but overall we are so excited! The hardest part is behind us. The embryo transfer will be the next big  phase but it does not involve anesthesia. So yay!

I have a bag of prescription medicine that I will begin tomorrow. Antibiotics, steroids, anti nausea medicine, and the list goes on. One of them has to be taken every 6 hours till at least Sunday; 6 p.m., midnight, 6 a.m., noon. So much for taking it too easy.

Thank you for all your texts, voice mails and prayers!   More to come!  Right now, as I take it a day at a time, it feels better not to have schedule my time around shots, bloodwork and every other day appointments. I get five days to just chill.  Praying that those embryos grow strong.

Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. God is so goody dear!! I hope you get an amazing and restful night of sleep!! We are so thrilled for y'all and praying!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete