Monday, September 17, 2012

This weekend was easily the worst ever!
I woke up in the middle of the night on Friday, realizing it was not a dream. This nightmare was real. I started sobbing. Travis rolled over and held me. Reality hit. Hard.  Tears flowed. Screamed. Prayed. Cried. Cried. and cried. The ugly, from my belly, silent sobbing kind of crying.  My eyes stung. I kept my cellphone close because the text messages from friends and family were comforting. Thank you!

Fast forward to today. Happy to go to work and get out of the sad house.

The two embryos never grew past where they started on Friday.

After giving me that news, my doctor and I spoke more about the information she had gathered from the embryologist.  Well, let me give you the good news first. The good news is, my uterus is young, I am able to ovulate (although early they are able to control it), and the egg and the sperm are able to connect. The bad news is my eggs were missing key components developed in stage 3 of maturity. Stage 4 is fertilization. Stage 3 happens just before ovulation and is pivital to their health.  This makes sense. I stimulate well. Meaning, I can produce lots of follicles with eggs. However, because they do not have these attributes of Stage 3, they have diagnosed me with an unofficial name of a metabolic ovulation disorder.

It is extremely rare. Shocker.

They do not know how to fix it. Frustrating.

My doctor is dedicating to researching it and getting back with me. Great. (said in non-emotional voice)

I called Travis and told him.  I asked how he felt about it and he said 'numb.'  I probably feel that too. My tears, our tears, this weekend were for not getting pregnant this cycle, going through all the efforts again, to get devastating news, and having a more complicated and possibly hopeless problem we did not see coming.  The news today did not change that.

We have a meeting with the IVF doctor and the lead embryologist on Wednesday at 11 a.m.

We will see pictures of my eggs, get more clinical information on what happened, and hear them explain all over again how they have never seen it before bla bla bla.

My doctor told me not to expect them to have answers as to why or how to fix it.  That will take time.

In speaking with my friend Rachel today, I am going to take her advice and get the report in writing.  Then, contact a well-known clinic in Colorado who deals with the rare cases and see what they suggest.

I am dealing with a local clinic.  Although I appreciate her tenacity and compassion my doctor can only know so much. Going to a place like the 'Mayo' of infertility in Colorado, may give us more answers.

Do you know what I am thinking?  How sucky the holidays are going to be.  How we are going to pass those marks again of 'next year we thought we would be pregnant by now.' Sad.  Should be used to it now.

I say this in the nicest way possible.  Giving plenty of notice for Thanksgiving and Christmas which look like will be very difficult.  You may want us to cheer up around the holidays.  Realizing you have our best intentions in mind and you love us very much!

I honestly have no idea what we will be doing for the holidays. Whether it will be with family or not.  You may have dealt with it differently if you were in my shoes. Thank God you are not in my shoes.  I don't know what we are planning for the holidays but whatever it is, be okay with it.  If you are not okay with it, remind yourself that we are dealing the best way we know how then respect our decision.  It may completely differ from how you would or how you want us to but that's okay.

The update:

Stop all meds (yay)
Wait to get my period.
Put the Nuvaring (birth control) in on Day 3 and leave in for 3 weeks.
Wait to see what information we/my doctor has gathered by then and make a decision.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, may I suggest that you and Travis take a cruise over at least the Christmas holiday? JB and I did this during one particularly sucky year. What was great about it? Very few people cruise with little children (because you still have to pay for them) and you can't cruise past like 26 weeks. No pregnant bellies and no babies. Sure it costs money but it was JUST what we needed. Lots of people who (a) don't have kids (b) didn't bring them with them (c) retired etc. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much & love that you blog & talk it out. I woke up @ 5:45 AM today. Was dreaming about you & Travis. The Lord is keeping you close & prompting me often to pray. Which I did. I laid there & prayed &eventuly fell asleep again. I know it's difficult. Know that you are being covered in prayer & thought of often. Remember, "Nothing Is Impossible!!" xoxoxoxo
    Dana

    ReplyDelete